Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Joy in the Present

The past is history, the future is a mystery, today is a gift. That is why we call it the present!
(KungFu Panda)

Today my aunt explained how she views my son, who was diagnosed with autism 8 months ago. My aunt had been watching me at various occasions over the last few weeks, and noticed some of the difficulties we faced, and the attitude we had about them. She shared her thoughts that my son was a gift to us because of the way he has showed us how to view life. My son doesn't dwell on the past or worry about the future, but just lives in the present. What joy can be found in the present? I realize that we can't always live in the present, and that it's important to learn from the past and plan for the future. It is also refreshing to just stop in a moment and think
"Where is the joy right now?" If there isn't much joy, make some happen.

Over the last 8 months my definition of joy has changed. I was joyful when my son cried when I left the room. I am overcome with joy when he says "NO, NO!". I have joy when he can hold my hand walking down the street. What joys do you have in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment